Hiring a Lawyer

Below is the list of Lawyers that I recommend to my clients. It is always a good idea to hire a lawyer during your real estate transaction. Your lawyer, just like your REALTOR® will work to protect your position and look out for your best interest.

Jeffrey Kahane
Jeffrey KahaneReal Estate Lawyer
(403) 225-8810
[email protected]

7309 Flint Road SE
Calgary AB T2H 1G3

Ryan MacKay
Ryan MacKayReal Estate Lawyer
(403) 800-8000
[email protected]

106-8060 Silver Springs Blvd NW
Calgary, Alberta T3B 5K1

David Oke
David OkeReal Estate Lawyer
(403) 543-7750
[email protected]

Suite 100 – 1501 1st Street SW
Calgary, AB T2R 0W1

Travis McArthur
Travis McArthurReal Estate Lawyer
(587) 323-4155
[email protected]

20, 1915-32nd Avenue NE
Calgary, Alberta T2E 7C8

Shirley Felker-Dunbar
Shirley Felker-DunbarReal Estate Lawyer
(403) 280-2152
[email protected]

Monterey Square, 201 2230 68 St. NE
Calgary, Alberta T1Y 0A2

If not sooner, you will meet with your lawyer once you have a firm offer to purchase. (Firm, meaning that all conditions have been waived) Your lawyer will receive all of the necessary documents they will need to go ahead with their part of the sale from your REALTOR® or their office. Typically your lawyer will want to book an appointment with you for 1-2 weeks before possession day to finalize the legalities of your transaction. They will confirm what to bring with you when you come.

Your lawyer will review their role in its entirety when you meet with them. They will go over the legal documents with you including the RPR and the title. They will also highlight any possible restrictions or caveats registered against the property, discuss closing costs and disbursements, and have you sign the documents to transfer the property’s title to you after they advance the purchase funds to the seller.

Additional Closing Costs

Beyond your lawyer fees and title insurance costs (if any), you may also have to pay other closing costs, including property tax adjustments. Because of the way property taxes work, you may be required to reimburse the seller some of the property taxes they’ve paid to their municipality in the current year. Your lawyer can provide you with more information about these costs.

What to Bring to Your Signing Appointment:

As a Buyer:

  • Two pieces of ID for every person signing

  • A void cheque for the account that you want your mortgage payments to come out of OR a pre-authorized debit form from your bank.

  • Confirmation of home insurance

  • The remaining amount of the down payment in the form of a bank draft

As a Seller:

  • Two pieces of ID for every person signing

  • A void cheque for the account into which you want your sale proceeds direct deposited

  • Your RPR (Real Property Report) with Stamp of Compliance.